78 Iloilo City Goverment

   NEWS UPDATES

 About Iloilo City
2014-07-17 11:21:54
 

Brief History

 

A. Origin of Name

 

The name “Iloilo City” was derived from “irong-irong”, a reference to the native word “irong” which means “nose”. The name took after the nose-like configuration of the main settlement area during the pre-Spanish period as so shaped by the Iloilo River. Chinese traders who frequent the area and who mispronounce the “r” sounds with “l” sounds, soon popularized the term “ilong-ilong” which later evolved into the current name Iloilo Arial 9.5 The name is said to have also evolved from a local fish of the same name which was indigenous to the place and which was a staple in the early inhabitants’ daily meals. Iloilo City was also referred to as the “Most Loyal and Noble City” or “La Muy Leal Y Noble Ciuded de Iloilo” in Spanish. This is an inscription in the Coat of Arms from the Royal Decree of 1896 in recognition of the local people’s loyalty to the Spanish crown.

B. Key Historical Events

1560-1590

- Spaniards Mateo Del Saz and Juan de la Isla set foot in Panay.
- The City became the source of food supplies of Cebu during Spanish Colonial period.
- Oton-Arevalo area became the nucleus of Spanish settlement headed by Miguel Lopez de Legazpi.
- Luis de la Haya came twice to Panay and piloted the frigate Espiritu Santo, accompanied by thirty others
   and the Agustinian Fr. Martin de Rada who preached the gospel to the natives along the Araut River..
- Legazpi wrote the Viceroy of Mexico that the new settlement in Panay was chosen as a more suitable
   site, upon his return from Mexico.
- Legazpi transferred to Manila, leaving in Panay some people to build a gallery of soldiers.
- Francisco de Sande, governor-general of the Islands, reported the work in progress at Oton.
- The town called Villa, founded by Gonzalo Ronquillo de Penalosa, third governor-general of the
   Philippines.
- The residence of the alcalde mayor (provincial governor) was transferred to the newly created Villa
   de Arevalo.
- The former site in Arevalo was located in what is presently called Santa Cruz.
- Forty Spaniards, twenty encomenderos and twenty soldiers, were settled in Arevalo.

1620-1650

- The chaplaincy made by Don Alfonso Fajardo was turned over the Jesuits, who built a wooden church in
   Estanzuela, by Juan Nini de Tavora. - Pedro Murillo visited the fortress and judged it to be a very good
   fortress with strong bulwarks, heavy artillery, ammunitions, and strorerooms over a tongue of water which
   was not good when the waves beat against it.
- Trading of tobaccos and textiles were started by Panayanos.
- The alcalde mayor resided in Iloilo.
- Gov. Gen. Hurtado de Corcuera issued a decree in his expedition against Sultan Kudarat , asking the people
   of Arevalo and the Chineseof Parian (Molo) to move to Punta.
- Few Spaniards who remained in Arevalo were asked by Gov. Gen. Alfonso Fajardo to move to Iloilo.

1650-1680

- Sugar was the most sufficient resource of the Island during that time.
- Rice was distributed to Iloilo from Panay.
- After some conflicts with the parish priest of Arevalo, the church was given to the parish of Parian (Molo).

1680-1740

- Economic transformation took over the entire region and weaving became the primary livelihood in Iloilo.
- Two alcaldes mayors or provincial governors governed the two provinces in Panay Island, Province of
   Oton and province of Panay.
- Fernando de Valdes Tamon described the Iloilo fortress as a structure made “of stonework, and had an,
   partly in the sea and partly on land, on tongue of land within the port itself”.
- The Iloilo fortress lost its importance through the years and was kept to protect the people against the
   attacks of the pirates, which infested those regions.

1740-1790

- Tomas de Castro y Andrade was commissioned to repair both the port and the fortress of Iloilo.
- Arevalo became an independent town again after losing its importance.
- The Jesuits ministered to Molo and all the people living along Molo to Punta when they were expelled
   from the Islands by order of Carloss III.
- The Dominicans were overseers.
- D. Juan de Figueroa signed the canonical books as the parish priest of Iloilo, Guimaras Island, and
   chaplain of the Fortress.

1790-1850

- The capital of the provinces from Cebu to Panay was officially transferred to Iloilo.
- Sugar production increased during the period.
- Filipino Propaganda Movement was initialized with Graciano Lopez Jaena undertaking the Liberal
   Revolution.
- The earliest recorded direct foreign exportation from Iloilo port took place when the Brigantine, a
   Portuguese ship, loaded some 500 piculs of sibucao (dye wood) for the colony of Macau
- Fr. Francisco Perez helped in developing the textile industry.
- Chinese textiles were imported and accepted locally.
- The French scholar Mallat visited the place and wrote that it was poorly and thinly inhabited.
- Iloilo became the principal seaport of the region and seat of the government of the province.

1850-1870

- Iloilo opened to foreign and non-Spanish commerce and transactions.
- Iloilo port was opened to international trade.
- The city was given the title “La muy leal y noble ciudad de Iloilo”
- Iloilo begun its development.
- The trade of Iloilo increased after it opened, being second to Manila.
- Pope Pius IX created a new diocese through the brief Qui ab Initio with the seat in Jaro separating it
   from the one in Cebu.
- Jose Romero identified the presence of establishment that existed at that time such as the Ker & Co. as
   he arrived in Iloilo.
- The capitan de barrio of Iloilo was opened by Gov. Manuel Iznart and Andres Arroyo, which was
   registered as one of the three houses only established that time.
- The widening of Real Street was approved.

1870-1880

- The town of Iloilo was a grouping of irregular houses of nipa, among which some wooden or stone
   houses with tiles for roofing could be seen.
- The house of Mr. Manuel Aldeguer blessed by Bishop Mariano Cuartero. Aldeguer Street was named
   after him.
- A traveler from Manila described Iloilo as a prosperous town which, in the near future, would become
   one of the leading cities in the Islands.
- Two iron and wooden bridges were constructed during the incumbency of Gov. Enrique Fajardo.
- Permission was granted to Federico Luchsinger to construct a dock in the Iloilo River.
- The same permission was given to Mr. Cirilo Corteza who was allowed to build a warehouse for his
   private use.
- The house of Loney and Co. was granted the same permission

1880-1890

- Agricultural experimental station called La Granja established at La Paz.
- The overseas minister Manuel Bacerra promulgated a law establishing the City Hall of Iloilo.
- The Iloilo Ayuntamiento (City Hall) was established.
- There were already some 15,000 inhabitants in Iloilo registered, many of them were laborers coming
   from the nearby towns of Molo and Jaro.
- The government of Manila approved the project to widen and improve the town of Iloilo in accordance
   with the indicated recommendations of Junta Consultativa, and sanitize the mangroves still existing
   within the town limits.
- Gov. Gen. Valerio Weyler sent the Iloilo authorities a circular reminding them of the past provisions
   about the houses of nipa within the main cask of the city.
- There had been no repair on streets when Iznart, Real and Progreso were repaired at a cost of 8,000
   pesos since these were the perennial problem of the City Hall.
- Spanish entrepreneur Don Jacobo Zobel de Zangronis was permitted to open a transportline that would
   connect Iloilo with Molo and Jaro.
- Dr. Jose Rizal, passing through Iloilo in his way from Dapitan to Manila, was much impressed by the
   appearance of the city. He wrote: “… The entrance to Iloilo is beautiful. From afar can be seen the white
   city set in water, a nymph of galvanized iron, a modern creation, poetic in spirit of its iron uniform… The
   liveliness of the Escolta [which he meant Calle Real] pleased me.”

1890-1900

- The city was referred to as the “Queen City of the South”.
- The Plaza de Alfonso XII was converted into a beautiful garden and park with trees, pathways, and a
   monument in the middle.
- A small house was established and later on occupied by Bazar Cosmopolita of Isidro de la Rama and
   was burnt.
- Real Street, the main and most beautiful street of Iloilo City, was being urbanized day after day as
   reported by El Eco de Panay.
- Junta asked for a loan to buy equipment for cleaning the Iloilo’s rivers.
- Don Antonio Domenech was commissioned to make a feasibility study of railway system of the City to
   improve its transportation.

1900-1930

- The first Baptist Church known as Jaro Evangelical Church is established.
- The Central Philippine University ministered theological training among local schools.
- The Manila Daily Bulletin cited Iloilo City as “the metropolis of the Visayan Islands, second city
   importance in the archipelago and the greatest market for sugar in this part of the world”.
- Philippine Railway Co. in Manila is authorized to connect as railway network to Panay known as
   Panay Railways.
- Inception of the Arellano Plan.
- Commercial buildings enhanced the city’s distinction in business and established first-class infrastructure
- Structures are designed in the “feminine, lacy Iloilo wedding-cake style”

1930-1960

- Iloilo gained its cityhood status again after it was reverted into township by the Americans.
- Panay’s largest bus company, Panay Autobus Co. was established.
- Panay was conquered by the Japanese but the economy of Iloilo was still stable.
- The Jaro Plaza was used as an alternative detention area of Japanese Batallions during World War II.
- Transportation networks advanced their linkages throughout Iloilo City.
- The Jaro Belfry was ruined by an earthquake. 
- The City’s architecture started to be influenced by International styles.

1960-1980

- The construction of fish port, international sea port and other commercial establishments made the City
   the regional center of Western VIsayas.
- Rice was distributed to Iloilo from Panay.
- Iloilo is known for being the Visayan region entry of commerce because of its ports.

1980-2000

- Restoration of old structures that have heritage value was initiated.
- Investment of business establishments increased more.
- The average annual family income percentage increased.
- The Metro Iloilo Development Council composed of the city of Iloilo, and municipalities of Leganes, Pavia,
   Oton and San Miguel was conceptualized..

2000-2011

- The Comprehensive Land Use Plan and Zoning Ordinance of Iloilo is approved by the Sangguniang
   Panlungsod and HLURB making the plan to be the first approved for the Highly Urbanized City Category
- The rehabilitation, development and sustainability of the Iloilo River is formulated by the Iloilo Business
   Club in partnership with the Iloilo City Government, US-AEP, and The Asia Foundation, consolidated by
   Mayor Jerry P. Treñas.
- The Jaro Floodway Channel was completed.
- Typhoon Frank damages Iloilo City.
- The Metro Iloilo-Guimaras Economic Development Council was institutionalized through presidential
   Executive Order 559 s- 2006
- The Iloilo City 2011-2020 Comprehensive Land Use Plan was prepared
- Five presidential proclamations were issued for the establishment of on-site site upgrading projects for
   the urban poor.
- Another Presidential Proclamation was issued turning over the Parola site to the city government of
   Iloilo.
- The rehabilitation and development of the Iloilo-Batiano River was intensified under the leadership of
   Mayor Jed Patrick Mabilog and Senator Frank Drilon.
- The new Iloilo City Hall is constructed with “green” concepts
- Other major infrastructure projects were initiated during the term of Mayor Jed Mabilog through the help
   of Ilonggo Senator Franklin Drilon.


MUNICIPAL PRESIDENTS/MAYORS OF ILOILO CITY

Inclusive Date

Name

Position/ Designation

1900-1901

Hon. Jose N. Gay

Municipal President

1901-1902

Hon. Matias Ybiernas

Municipal President

1903-1904

Hon. Rosauro Jocson

Municipal President

1904-1905

Hon. Juan de Leon

Municipal President

1906-1908

Hon. Rosauro Jocson

Municipal President

1909

Hon. Rosauro Jocson

Municipal President

1910-1912

Hon. Quirino Abeto

Municipal President

1913-1916

Hon. Quirino Abeto

Municipal President

1917-1919

Hon. Gerardo Hervas

Municipal President

1920-1921

Hon. Vicente Ybiernas

Municipal President

1921-1922

Hon. Vicente Ybiernas

Municipal President

1923-1925

Hon. Serapion Torre

Municipal President

1926-1928

Hon. Eulogio Garganera

Municipal President

1929-1931

Hon. Eulogio Garganera

Municipal President

1932-1934

Hon. Leopoldo Ganzon

Municipal President

1935-1936

Hon. Eulogio Garganera

Municipal President

1936-1941

Hon. Ramon Campos

City Mayor  (Appointed by virtue of RA 365/ Commonwealth Act # 158

1941-1944

Hon. Vicente Ybiernas

City Mayor  (Appointed by virtue of RA 365/ Commonwealth Act # 158

1945

Hon. Mariano Benedicto

City Mayor  (Appointed by virtue of RA 365/ Commonwealth Act # 158

1945-1947

Hon. Fernando Lopez

City Mayor  (Appointed by virtue of RA 365/ Commonwealth Act # 158

1947-1949

Hon. Vicente Ybiernas

City Mayor  (Appointed by virtue of RA 365/ Commonwealth Act # 158

1950-1952

Hon. Rafael Jalandoni

City Mayor  (Appointed by virtue of RA 365/ Commonwealth Act # 158

1953

Hon. Juan Borja

City Mayor  (Appointed by virtue of RA 365/ Commonwealth Act # 158

1954

Hon. Dominador Jover

City Mayor  (Appointed by virtue of RA 365/ Commonwealth Act # 158

1955-1959

Hon. Rodolfo T. Ganzon

First Elected City Mayor (RA 1209)

1960-1961

Hon. Rodolfo T. Ganzon

Elected City Mayor

1962-1963

Hon. Reinerio Ticao

Elected City Mayor

1964-1967

Hon. Reinerio Ticao

Elected City Mayor

1968-1971

Hon. Reinerio Ticao

Elected City Mayor

1972

Hon. Rodolfo T. Ganzon

Elected City Mayor

1972 (Oct.) – 1976 (April)

Hon. Francisco Garganera

Actg. Mayor by virtue of succession

1976 (May) – 1979 (April)

Hon. T.S. Zafiro Ledesma

City Mayor (Appointed)

1979 (May) – 1986 (March)

Hon. Luis C. Herrera

City Mayor (Appointed/Elected)

1986 (April) – 1987 (Nov.)

Hon. Rosa O. Caram

City Mayor (Appointed)

1987 (Dec.)- 1988 (Jan.)

Hon. Antonio Hechanova

City Mayor (Appointed)

1988 (Feb.) – 1991 (June)

Hon. Rodolfo T. Ganzon

City Mayor (Elected)

1991 (July) – 1992 (Mar.)

Hon. Mansueto A.  Malabor

Actg. City Mayor

1992 (April) – 1992 (June 30)

Hon. Jerry P. Treñas

City Mayor (By Succession)

1992 (June 30) PM - 1995 (June 30) NN

Hon. Masueto A. Malabor

City Mayor ( Elected)

1995 (June 30) PM - 1998 (June 30)NN

Hon. Mansueto A. Malabor

City Mayor (Elected)

1998 (June 30)PM - 2001 (June 30)NN

Hon. Mansueto A. Malabor

City Mayor (Elected

2001 (June 30) PM- 2004 (June 30)NN

Hon. Jerry P. Treñas

City Mayor (Elected)

2004 (June 30)PM - 2007 (June 30)NN

Hon. Jerry P. Treñas

City Mayor (Elected)

2007 (Jun3 )PM - 2010 (June 30) NN

Hon. Jerry P. Treñas

City Mayor (Elected)

2010 (June 30)PM - Present

Hon. Jed Patrick E. Mabilog

City Mayor (Elected

Copyright © EACMO 2011. All rights reserved. Home | About Us | Prvacy | Contact Us |
iloilocity.gov.ph © Iloilo City Webteam.